Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Arachnophobia

Ever noticed how the dried up stalk stem whatever - I can’t think of the technical botanical word for it, but it’s the bit that remains from the vine on a tomato and it’s what you pull off – if it’s still on - before slicing the fruit… Anyway, ever noticed how that bit is a dead ringer for a spider? A LARGE, hairy, fat-legged spider?

I can’t tell you the number of times that I’ve noticed one of those damned things from the corner of my eye on my kitchen countertop, and leaped back involuntarily even while realising that it’s only a bit of vegetation, not a dormant spider waiting to leap into movement. (Instinct is quicker than reason, as I’ve noticed over and over, although not always quicker than a spider. Those arachnids can move…!)

I suppose such incidents wouldn’t happen if I cleared away the debris from vegetables and things rightaway instead of putting it off with “I’ll do it all at one go after I finish cooking”.

Yeah, I could do that… but then those excitingly heart-stopping “yarrrrrrgggghh!” moments would never liven up my kitchen time, would they? Or get a mention on my blog?

3 comments:

Teesu (very very Indian, very very good) said...

Surely not...(he he).We would give any reason as a good one to procrastinate, eh? Family ties again!

Anonymous said...

I have similar incidents - but with my husband! He walks on tiptoes to not disturb the baby - and I turn around, see an unexpected human being in my kitchen and scream. Moot point eh?

Vinesh said...

haha! you must be inventing new organisms/creatures by the day!