Monday, September 08, 2008

Sunday Scribblings - "Miracle"

My life thus far has been amazingly devoid of miracles and events miraculous. I can’t say I miss them, because how can you miss what you’ve never experienced? By “miracle”, I don’t mean generic ones like “being alive and in command of all my senses” (except the common one… but I prefer the exotic, in any case. Common is SO boring), “feeling the gentle breeze caress my face” (more like a cold fish in the face at the moment, what with all the rain and wind), “delighting in the fragrance of flowers” (said flowers at present shredded by above mentioned wind, but still...) and so on.

Don’t get me wrong, I am grateful for all the faculties I possess, and I thoroughly enjoy every minute that I can see, hear, speak and think, and yes, I do appreciate all the glorious bounties of Nature. I don’t take any of these things lightly.

But, miraculous as all those things are, they are still not the sort of occurrence that I expect from the word “miracle” as defined in the dictionary:

"1. an effect or extraordinary event in the physical world that surpasses all known human or natural powers and is ascribed to a supernatural cause.
2. such an effect or event manifesting or considered as a work of God."


Given that I’m not really superstitious (except in the dark of night when I’m alone, heheh) and have not had my (dis)belief in things supernatural and/or divine tested in any practical way, I’m not even sure that I would recognise a miracle if I came across one. I can only hope that when I do, it wont be one of those subtle occurrences because I just don’t do subtle. I’ll need it spelt out beforehand… unless, of course, it’s something unmistakable, like if I were to voluntarily and spontaneously start doing algebra or geometry problems…

Hang on - actually, although extremely unusual, even that wouldn’t qualify in my books.

But if I were to get the answers right... yee-up, right there, that would be a miracle.

3 comments:

Teesu (very very Indian, very very good) said...

Miracles are interesting. And slightly scary because they happen 'against all odds'.

Anonymous said...

Just gave you another award!
sorry, didn't see that you'd already done it.

Pollux aka Paps said...

Shyam: I am pretty sure miracles don't do banners or loud trumpets to announce arrival. Subtle is the name of hte game. and of course, your definition of how big is a miracle. there are many everyday miracles that are happening even as we write now.