Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Observing myself

I've been aware that of late, most of my posts on this blog seem to be snarky rants about things or people or situations or... so, pretty much anything, really. And yet I'm not really a morose or negative person at heart. I just wanted to make that clear, because my posts aren't really giving the impression of a mostly happy person, are they? The one thing I'm incurably cynical about is politicians and their self-serving greed, but that's really it - anything else that annoys me is forgotten once the source of annoyance is removed. 

And yet this blog brings out the ranty side of me, and I can't explain why I feel the need to record my irritability in this manner. I used to be funny with my outbursts - or at least I like to think I was funny - but now they're just outbursts, the kind of thing where if I was writing an old-fashioned Letter to the Editor, I'd sign myself off as "Pissed-Off in Shrewsbury" or "Disgusted in Market Drayton" or some such. Rants aren't fun unless they're funny, right?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that my writing muscle is getting weaker and not receiving much nourishment; my ability to put words together in an amusing way is declining. I don't want to make the effort to be funny. I don't feel like putting forward my opinion on current events because it's going to change nothing while simply adding to the general babble online. I'd just rather read other people's writing than bother to put anything together in a coherent, cohesive manner, because it takes effort. So this is less a rant and more a ramble. I can't help wondering, though, if my writing mojo will... well, reconnect with its mojo. Watch this space along with me, won't you?

3 comments:

Kamini. said...

Your writing mojo is alive and well, Shyam, it's just evolved in a new direction. Just keep writing and don't force things. I understand completely-I feel the same way!

Kamini.

Anonymous said...

I've noticed this about myself too. My reasoning was - humor is not as compelling as annoyance is. If you are really annoyed/ upset about something, you have a stronger incentive to write about it. If you are in a good mood, you will probably not sit down to blog about it.

Anu said...

All I will say is, "Goody, goddy". Keep those posts coming. And I don't blame you one bit for ranting - that's the way the world has turned these days !