Tuesday, June 11, 2013

It's toast

Today I make a confession. I love cold toast. Sure, toast with melting butter sinking into its pores is nice twice over - once because it's hot, and again because dude, it's BUTTER! If you must eat toast, it's gotta have real butter on it. Not olive oil spread, not vegetable-oil spread, not "lighter, spreadable" butter, or I-cant-believe-it's-not-butter non-butter... none of that. It's got to be the best organic butter that you can lay your paws on. 

And, in my humble opinion, that same flavourful real butter on cold toast is just unbeatable. The butter shouldn't come straight from the fridge - that makes it impossible to spread evenly on the toast. No, the butter should be at room temperature and spreadable. 

Think about it - when the toast is cold, it doesn't get a chance to get soggy from the melting butter. With cold toast, the toast stays crunchy, the butter stays buttery. The toast-must-be-eaten-hot camp don't know what they're missing. 

One last thing... if you're in the market for good strawberry preserves, like me, then try the preserves slathered over the butter on the cold toast. It's probably one of my guiltiest pleasures.

3 comments:

Anu said...

I love hot buttered toast too. The other day I got a pot of strawberry jam for my son - and kept going into the kitchen for unnecessary glasses of water etc. Then I just gave in and grabbed a slice of bread, dipped into the jam. And what do you know - no more visits to the kitchen after that!

justanothermommy said...

Ha ha, I am not a fan of toast or strawberry preserves (who does not like butter?) - but the way you've written makes me think I'd actually love it :)

Pavithra said...

I didn't know you had another blog! I am totally with you on the real butter thingy. Lately I've been obssessed with bonne maman strawberry and blackberry preserves. They taste divine on hot buttered toast.