Friday, January 20, 2012

A word to the wise...

I learnt a new word today. It doesn’t enrich my world in any interesting way and it is to do with an area that holds absolutely no interest for me and never has – fashion.

The word is “peplum”.

Frankly, when I read the sentence “Peplums look like they're going to make a bit of a comeback this year”, I thought the word sounded like a particularly disgusting bodily secretion. Or maybe something to do with lactating women, even.

Guess what a peplum is?

It’s a frill. A frill or flounce of fabric that is attached to dresses, blouses and skirts at the waist, so that it comes down over the hips.

Who would've thunk, eh?

Still, I guess I've learnt a new word today - and unfortunately I'm never going to forget it or its meaning. That's the way it is with information I don't need or care about - it never leaves my head. But all the things that I have to remember for certain occasions (like exams)... they make a beeline for the exit without a single glance back.

Oy...

5 comments:

Anu said...

Another word that caught me off guard like this one was "Glaucous". Imagine describing someone having glaucous eyes!!!

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

I used to know that. (My mother was big in sewing when I was little) But it took your post to remind. me.

Lekhni said...

I'm fascinated by the unconscious association of thought here. Why bodily secretions ? Is that due to the "pep" - peptic etc? And lactating women are mums? It's like solving a cryptic crossword.

I'd have thought it was some kind of plum, or some fruit anyway.

Kamini said...

Good to know! Now, to put it to use somewhere!
I subscribe to a service that delivers a new word to my email every morning, complete with its meaning and etymology. They are all completely obscure, but I just love it. It's called Wordsmith.
Kamini.

Teesu (very very Indian, very very good) said...

Hilarious:-D Ohhhhh...long time no see Shammi's blog...happy to visit again:-)